Spring means that summer is right around the corner, which means that millions of students around the country will be let out of school for summer break soon. While that is exciting for kids, it can be a huge headache for parents who have to figure out how to care for their children during work hours.
Around 20% of parents report leaving their kids home alone during the summer, while others have to cobble together various forms of care, like a family member, a nanny, using vacation time, and more. However, there’s another option that can be beneficial for both parents and their children: summer programs. In this article, we’ll highlight some of the main benefits of summer programs for kids.
Why You Should Consider Kids’ Summer Programs
- A Safe Place for Kids To Go - First and foremost, enrolling your child in a summer program gives them a safe place to go when you aren’t at home. This way, you don’t have to worry about what they are doing or whether they are safe, as they’ll be in a safe situation under the supervision of qualified adults.
- Continued Learning - Enrolling your child in a summer program can also prevent summer learning loss by providing them with opportunities to continue learning throughout the summer. This can be through games, activities, projects, specially designed learning programs, and more.
- Exercise - Summer programs also help kids to get enough physical activity each day. This can be through playing sports or other games, health and wellness programs, getting out into nature, and more.
- Socializing With Others - Summer programs also give children the opportunity to meet other kids their age and make new friends. This allows kids to build their social skills and interact with new individuals that they might not meet during their regular school year.
- Workforce Development - A lot of summer programs also offer activities and programs that help older kids prepare for joining the workforce when they are old enough. This involves thinking about possible career paths, learning about the job application process, thinking about the necessary education for certain jobs, and more.
- Nutritious Food - Enrolling your child in a summer program also enables them to eat nutritious, healthy food each day instead of snacking unsupervised at home. There are even programs that teach kids about healthy eating so they can improve their eating tendencies, and their overall health and well-being.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Delta aim to serve the children in our communities, especially by keeping them safe. One of the ways we do this is through our afterschool and summer programs which provide homework help, fitness activities, workforce development, literacy activities, and more.
Each of our clubs provides kids with a safe place to play, learn, exercise, and receive nutritious foods. If you’re looking for a safe place where your child can go during the summer, consider signing them up for a summer club or program today!