Being physically active is part of a healthy lifestyle for everyone, but it’s incredibly important for children. Childhood is a time of growth and development, and getting the proper amount of exercise plays a vital role in making sure kids remain healthy. It’s recommended that kids get at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day in order to receive many of the benefits.
Here are some of the main benefits of physical activity for children:
- Reduced risk of diseases and illnesses - Getting enough physical activity every day helps to prevent diseases like obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and more. It also helps boost a child’s immune system to help their body fight off illnesses.
- Strengthening bones and promoting healthy growth - Physical activity also helps to strengthen children’s bones and promotes healthy growth as their bodies continue to develop. Staying active is one of the best ways to ensure that children develop properly and do not suffer any issues or stunted growth.
- Improved academic results - Physical activity is also beneficial for children’s minds and can help them perform better in school. When children are active, they have fun and their brains release endorphins that make them feel and concentrate better. This helps them to focus on schoolwork and be attentive in their classes.
- Greater self-esteem and confidence - When children exercise regularly, it helps them to boost their self-esteem and confidence. Physical activity provides children with an outlet where they learn what they are good at and what they enjoy, and that helps them to be more confident.
- Reduced stress, anxiety, and depression - Physical activity also promotes mental health in children by helping to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression. When kids exercise, it benefits both their bodies and their minds, helping them to feel better.
- Building friendships - When kids are physically active, they are usually with other children competing in sports, playing games, or participating in other activities. These experiences provide children with the opportunity to bond with their peers and even make new friends.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Delta aim to serve the children in our communities, especially as students return to schools for in-person learning. One of the ways we do this is through our afterschool programs which provide homework help, fitness activities, workforce development, literacy activities, and more. Each of our clubs provides kids with a safe place to play, learn, exercise, and receive nutritious foods. Find out how you can get involved with our organization by signing your child up for a club or afterschool program, making a donation, or volunteering to help our cause today!