Each year, August brings the end of summer vacation and a return to school for students all across the country. While returning to school is a normal occurrence, this year it is more significant because it marks the first time that most students will be returning to in-person learning at school in over a year. This means they get to see their favorite teachers, their friends, and interact with other students every day. It also means that students will need some new supplies as they head back to the classroom. Here are 9 things that should be on your back-to-school supplies list:
- Hand Sanitizer and Facial Tissues - Returning to in-person schooling is an exciting time for students, but it’s also crucial to make sure your child is safe while at school. Pick up some hand sanitizer and facial tissues so they always have them handy. This way they can practice good hygiene and stay healthy throughout the school year.
- Masks - Regardless of whether your school district is mandating that students wear masks while at school, providing your child with plenty of masks to wear will help keep them safe and healthy as they return to the classroom.
- Writing Utensils - With most of the learning over the last year and a half being done online, students might not have used standard school supplies like pens and pencils. Now is a great time to restock on your writing utensil supplies, and make sure those pencils are #2!
- Pencil Bag or Box - After you purchase new writing utensils for your child, they’re going to need a place to store them. Pick up a new pencil bag or box so they can easily carry around all of their writing supplies and keep them organized.
- Notebooks and Paper - With all of those new writing utensils, your student is going to need something to write on. The next things to pick up are notebooks and loose-leaf paper. Your child’s teacher should let you know exactly what specifications you’ll need for notebooks and paper.
- Folders and Binders - Next, pick up some folders and binders to help keep your student organized and on top of all their subjects. These will help your child keep track of all of their notebooks, papers, and assignments while also making it easier to transport them.
- Backpack - While learning from home over the past year and a half, your child didn’t need to worry about carrying things between your home and school. Now that they are returning to school, consider picking up a new backpack to ensure they can easily transport all their new supplies.
- Lunchbox - Just like a backpack, a lunchbox was probably unnecessary for your child at home while learning online. A return to in-person schooling means a return to them needing lunches every day. Picking up a new lunchbox will make sure your child gets a healthy, nutritious lunch for every school day.
- Arts and Crafts Supplies - Depending on your child’s age, you may have to pick up arts and craft supplies as well. These include things like scissors, glue, crayons, and markers. With these supplies, you can assure that your child has everything they need for all of their different school projects.
- Make sure to consult with your child's class supply list! - These are often posted in school supply areas in local retailers.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Mississippi Delta aim to serve the children in our communities, especially as students return to schools for in-person learning. One of the ways we do this is through our afterschool programs which provide homework help, fitness activities, workforce development, literacy activities, and more. Each of our Clubs provides kids with a safe place to play, learn, exercise, and receive nutritious foods. Find out how you can get involved with our organization by signing your child up for a club or afterschool program, making a donation, or volunteering to help our cause today!